Thursday, February 7, 2013

Multiple Viewpoints, Unconscious, Expressing Inner States, Satire

Well, this week I learned something new - it takes a really long time to ship anything from Hawaii! Hence why I have not been able to post responses to the 100 Ideas book this week (I borrowed Kathy's book last week). Hopefully my book will arrive soon, I can't imagine it taking much more than three weeks to ship a book from Hawaii to Missouri. sigh. Thankfully, Sharyn has lent me her book for the time being. Here are my responses for the week:

MULTIPLE VIEWPOINTS

Before reading the text on multiple viewpoints, I had no idea that this idea in art was originally called "cubist." I began to think about what cubist artwork looks like, and realized that it often appears to be images constructed from multiple perspectives that the viewer would normally not see while simply glancing at the subject. Cubist art represents a series of glances in time, a composite of all of the perspectives, angles and images you see while glancing at an image over a few seconds or possibly walking a few feet. It creates a much more visually interesting result because of puzzle-like image it creates, asking your brain to consider the multiple viewpoints examined in creating this work of art.

Multiple viewpoints is definitely an idea that can be applied within my own artwork, particularly the whimsical city landscapes that I love to create. I could create the buildings using multiple view points to add both an element of interest and whimsy, making the cities appear to be a place only to be traveled to in your dreams, much like the subjects of cubist work. Also, for the classroom, or for more my own creative inspiration, I thought of a fun activity: Take photos of an object from many different viewpoints and then print the photos, cut up the pictures, and recreate the object in a cubist style. The re-composed photograph could then be used to inspire a drawing, painting, etc.

A cubist artwork that I really love: Russian artist Georgy Kursaov




UNCONSCIOUS

Sigmund Freud proposed that "dreams are truthful manifestations of unconscious desires;" what a beautiful way to explain a dream. The unconscious is characterized as a "hidden region of the mind," a capacity that we are not actively aware of, but do experience throughout our lives. Freud's art was inspired by the desires that were not acknowledged due to the values of society. Freud argued that access to this hidden part of the mind could be gained through the analysis of dreams. The unconscious could also be examined through repressed memories, just as Kiefer examine Germany's Nazi history.

My artwork is often inspired by my dreams. For me, the greatest of dreams involve travelling to far away lands, that I have never before seen. Seeing architecture that would not be possible in the world we live in, rivers that run backwards, train tracks that run through the sky, etc. Often after I wake up I quickly try to sketch out my dreams so that I can remember what they looked like, although it is quite difficult to capture the sense of magic and color as I remember from my dreams. I should challenge myself to create work that captures the essence of my dream and paint what I have seen within my head, considering even how to give the work a dream like aesthetic.

EXPRESSING INNER STATES
I did not begin to grasp the idea of expressing inner states until I read the phrase, "A work becomes a work of art when one reevaluates the values of nature and adds one's own spirituality." The expression of inner states is about giving meaning to the unseen and showing the artists' perspective and influence over the subject. The lines following the quote that gave me deeper understanding felt like deja vu while reading them... "art-a public activity, since the desire to make visible implies that someone will be looking-then it must communicate." This reminded me the description Karen (shout out to you, Karen!) gave of art in the 21st century. I realize that I've included quite a few quotes in this response, but I've found several that are noteworthy. In expressing our inner states through art, what is more perfect than to say, "we are playing on our soul." It is this idea that makes art so very beautiful, being one of the very few ways to literally show people what you see inside your mind and soul.

In my own artwork, I hope to remember the power of expressing my inner state, that I can translate my thoughts, ideas and feelings into images, sculptures, installations, etc. This idea in art is particularly important when creating conceptual work because you are trying to evoke deep meaning and context. This idea yet another reason it is critical for art teachers to give their students to create artwork that they feel is meaningful and an expression of their inner self.

SATIRE
Funny art. Yet oh so much more. There is one critical component of satirical art, according to Bird: the work is clear and understandable to its audience. This idea in art has identifiable purposes and a specific meaning it wishes to convey. Satirical art is created to stir the audience, to send a political message or to present information in a sarcastic and critical way. These characteristics of satirical art can have repercussions for the artist. In the case of Honore Daumier, he served six months in prison after his offensive artwork was found to be less-than-brilliant by the then French king. This example shows the consequences the artist may face, but more importantly the power in the hands of the artist to deliver a powerful message.

I will have to disagree with Bird that "satire... impli[es] a better alternative to the state of affairs it represents". In the very image about this paragraph of "Supermarket Shopper," Duane Hanson pokes fun at American culture but does not offer a solution to the problem that he poses. I think that Bird's statement would be more correct in saying: satire has the power to ask the audience to contemplate an alternative to the state of affairs it represents. In my own artwork, I am not exactly sure how I will plan to use satire. I often am drawn to whimsical, illustrative artwork, but perhaps this is a satire in itself, an image of what my ideal world would appear to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment