Friday, February 22, 2013

Alleogry

Allegory gives artists the ability to represent abstract concepts visually in their artwork, whether the idea be portrayed through personification or an object. This idea in art has been used for the purpose of politics throughout history. Even one of the most well-known brands, Nike, borrowed meaning from the statue of the goddess Nike who represented victory for the Greek people. Allegory is a powerful idea that has been used often within art for centuries.

I would have to argue against philosopher Walter Benjamin's perspective on an allegorical object, that it "relies on the meaning ascribed to it by its maker, becoming 'incapable of eliminating any meaning ... on it's own."' This idea contradicts that of the VTS structure in that meaning is created through the perspectives, experiences and ideologies of the viewer.

In my own work I could use allegory by personifying abstract concepts through people and objects, particularly in my conceptual series I will be creating for studio thinking. Because I am creating pieces that talk about the various types of intelligences and what they contribute to humanity, this could be an opportunity to experiment with allegory and use people or figures to represent abstract ideas. I can represent the intelligences through the figures that embody the characteristics of that mind. Rather than choosing a specific identifiable person, I want the viewer to view themselves within the figure so that they can better relate.

1 comment:

  1. Kate, I like your argument about Walter Benjamin's statement...an allegorical object, "relies on the meaning ascribed to it by its maker, becoming 'incapable of eliminating any meaning ... on it's own." I do think as VTS viewers of an object, we can come up with all kinds of ideas about it yet to be classified or used as an allegorical object, with specific endowed meaning the object relies on the artists intention. At least I think that is what Walter is tying to say.

    ReplyDelete