Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Facilitating Critical and Aesthetic Inquiry

Response

As Mary Franco explained during a visit to our class a few weeks ago, it is critical to select artwork that is appropriate and of interest to the students so that they can engage in it. To help students in analyzing a work of art, I can use strategies in the classroom: tools to isolate or examine parts (magnifiers, view finders); diagraming or tracing; the creation of studies to find patterns; or the consideration of similarities and differences. I find it interesting that many of the strategies listed above are used in creating art as well as analyzing it.

I believe that kinesthetic learning should absolutely be a part of learning in the art classroom, and I was excited to see sound and movement strategies listed as a way to engage students with art objects. Through kinesthetic learning, students have heightened memory, creativity and understanding.

Here are a few ideas I would LOVE to use in the elementary art room:
  • Have students work on comparing and contrasting visual concepts through movements with their bodies (ex: rough and smooth, straight and curved, symmetrical and asymmetrical)
  • Ask students to think about the movement and sound of a piece and then create or select or corresponding song for the piece
In asking my students questions about artwork, I can ask them leading questions to help guide them in searching for similarities and differences in artwork and what they think it means. I also want to include sketchbook activities that ask the students to create their own questions about analyzing their own artwork or the artwork of others. Asking hypothetical questions will push the students' thinking further and help them see the perspectives of others.

In teaching students about artists and their work, it is important that I present accurate and authentic information about the artists and their lives. I do not want to only focus on bizarre details because they are more interesting, I want to show the artist for who they are and what they contributed to the art world, hopefully inspiring the students in their own artwork.

To help my students more deeply interpret artwork, I can give give them a variety of strategies to do so. From talking about metaphors and making comparisons, to relating the artwork to music and movement, giving students a variety of forms of self expression shows them that there are no wrong answers in interpretation.

Article that relates

3 Ways to "Do" Kinesthetic Learning in the Art Room

I love the ideas mentioned in the article above to be used with young children with the art room. This activity is perfect for little ones not only because kinesthetic learning is a great way to make new concepts memorable, but also because it works on gross motor skills and gives them a chance to move around. The art room is a place for experimentation, movement, and untraditional learning. I want to give my students the opportunity to learn using different strategies they are not using in their other classes. Again, creating the positive risk-taking environment for my students.

1 comment:

  1. This is a little silly, but my brother and I used to play this game where we would draw on each others backs with our fingers and the person who was being drawn on had to guess what the artist was drawing. It is a kind of interesting interpretation of kinesthetic learning. It really gets you to have to use your mind to think about what you are feeling and how that would translate into a picture. Though there might be some weird annoying issues about asking your students to touch one another.

    ReplyDelete