Monday, October 14, 2013

Topics in Digital Citizenship

Validity of information

I chose validity of Internet sources because the nature of the Internet is such that anyone can post information that is available to the public. This capability allows for a variety of information: truthful, untruthful, slander, etc. It is important that we teach our students to recognize that not all information on the Internet is true, in addition to how to seek truthful and valid information. One activity to use in the classroom could be a myth buster’s activity – busting artist myths. For example, did Van Gogh cut off his own ear? If so, why? Another activity could be a unit on appropriation. When appropriating, it is important to ask students to research the object/idea they are appropriating before doing so, in order to understand its full meaning. One valid resource I found that I would use in my classroom is: art21.com.

Posting etiquette

I chose this topic because I have seen many people post things online that I doubt they would say or do in real life. It is important to teach students the importance of speaking respectfully and thoughtfully, even in an online presence. I could teach my students about posting etiquette by giving them the opportunity to do VTS in a private online discussion board. They could share and consider opinions on artwork in a respectful, collaborative manner. Another strategy would be to ask students to create a work of art that compares and contrasts people as they are in real life  compared to digital life. A resource that I found for posting etiquette was Emily Post’s technology etiquette. http://www.emilypost.com/technology

No comments:

Post a Comment