Sunday, September 22, 2013

Read & Reflect Week 5


Reading about new strategies for student learning and cell phone applications in the classroom reminded me of something I learned this summer while teaching in South Korea. In remote areas of South Korea, students are learning from a teacher who is not physically in the classroom. Teachers were spending so much time commuting to these schools that the government decided it would be much more effective and efficient to have English teachers skype in to the classroom from all over the world. Clearly, today’s classroom is unique from any other time in history.

I found the Prensky reading to be relatively outdated as far as inspirational ways to use technology in the classroom today. It seems that most students have smart phones, and very few have standard cell phones. I think the capabilities of a smart phone go far beyond some of the more basic examples provided in the text. That being said, I think that this teaches an important lesson: technology is outdated by the time a book is written about it. It is important that we include our students’ opinions and feedback when selecting technology for the classroom. Chances are, they will know about the most innovative forms of technology before I do.

The Rosen text made a point that I think is very true about 21st century students: the preferred method of communication is texting. Texting is often the means of connecting with others and making plans. I think it should also be part of the conversation that some critical components of communication can be lost through texting. Texting requires no body language, facial expression, tone of voice, etc. In a way, one could say that it has been abstracted to become communication in its simplest form. I can see a juicy lesson being developed from this premise. What kind of information is lost in texting? What are the results? Miscommunication? Misinterpretation? Misunderstanding? I think this would be a very relevant conversation in a 21st century middle or high school classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I do a lot of texting, it seems so much easier to text a quick question rather than call. I'd rather have a five texts conversation with someone, like my mother, than have to call and sit through twenty minutes of niceties, but even writing that now just makes me sound rude.
    More often than not I get frustrated that I don't know how to text sounds. LOL is not very effective in communicating all the variations of laughing, smiling, general amusement, etc. I feel, and I don't know what all the symbols are supposed to mean. My phone has thirty some pre-assembled symbol faces but I don't have a clue what most of them are supposed to suggest. I'm also a very phonetic texter. I reread almost everything I send so I'm sure I put the right punctuation in it. The digital native is all about shortening the number of key strokes. With many smart phones you can just use stroke recognition and swipe your finger around the keypad. The phone figures out which words are needed. The speak now option is my favorite. I love having what I'm thinking instantly written down. I would hate to be an English teacher in today's schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you both are making some great points about the nuances of communication - as we're experiencing first hand in our online course. As we keep returning to in this class, it seems to be about maintaining a balance of these types of communication.

    Kate - thanks for your honest appraisal of the Prensky article. I will try and find something a little more up to date for next semester!

    ReplyDelete