Wednesday, January 30, 2013

AUTHENTICITY

I must admit that authenticity has me quite confused after reading about how it has shaped the art world. On one hand, I recognize the importance of authenticity in determining the value of an artwork. On the other hand, does the discovery that "Madonna of the Pinks" was indeed an original change the value of the painting itself? The painting has remained the same, while the context has changed. So, this has me thinking - perhaps society and its values determine the authenticity of a painting? I'm not sure. I'd be interested in learning more about the idea of authenticity and how it correlates with appropriation, inspiration, etc.

In my own work, I think that I can create authenticity by letting my life experience and truest self inspire my artwork. I would think that the idea of authenticity would favor process over product. I would argue this because, of the example of "Steam Boat Off a Harbour's Mouth." It is not certain whether or not the artist actually experienced such a storm that he has depicted in this painting. However, he may have told this story to create a more authentic representation of his "experience" in the eyes of the viewer. For me, I think being an authentic creator involves, as Kathy says, making meaning through meaningful making.

No comments:

Post a Comment