Monday, March 4, 2013

Icon

Before reading Bird's thoughts on icon, I had no idea about the significant origin of the word. How interesting is it that the term icon is derived from the Greek word eikon, meaning "image", particularly referring to  holy figures. Throughout history images have been used to represent ideas, and in this case of the Greeks it was so important that they had a particular term for it. Churches throughout history have used icons to connect its followers to ideas. Images are a powerful form of communication and can give an abstract idea a "face."

I think an interesting way to study icons would be as part of a "representation unit," studying every type of representational image from religious icons to commercial logos. I think by studying the icons and symbols used throughout history, I would be more mindful of the choices I make in creating artwork and the meaning and history behind the visuals I create.

No comments:

Post a Comment