Thursday, March 7, 2013

Protest and Personal is Political


Protest

The idea of protest in art is used to express political opinion, usually in contrast to official propaganda. I did not know that Goya was the first mainstream artist to use propaganda in his work. In The Third of May 1808, Goya criticizes the Spanish government for its failure to protect its people. Artists today are still using protest as a powerful form of communication to the masses. Ai Weiwei talks about social injustice in his work and has had such an influence over the culture that the Chinese government took action against him. This shows the amount of power and impact artists can have over their viewers.

I have never before created a political piece of art and it could be a very strong and compelling way to express myself. Images can often be more powerful than written text and are used widely in political campaigns and other various agendas. I am intrigued by the idea of creating a mixed media piece using materials gathered from news sources. All news comes from a biased perspective and I think a lot of rich contrast could be developed in the comparison of various sources. I am always deeply engaged by the large black and white photos hanging in the entrance to the Journalism school and I think this again speaks to the power a single image can have.

Personal is Political

I knew I had heard of the phrase "personal is political," but am not familiar with its background or context in the world of art. I also did not know that "personal is political" is so closely connected to the feminist movement of the 70s. This idea in art gave minorities and marginalized artists their first opportunities to exhibit and be respected in the art world. I now further understand the meaning and concept behind Judy Chicago's The Dinner Party and the relevance it is in today's society. Many of the female artists mentioned in the text have made strides in giving women the recognition the deserve for achievements throughout history.

As a woman, I would be very interested in creating a series of artwork about women and their strengths. Women have made beautiful achievements throughout history that often go unrecognized. In addition to the accomplishments they have made themselves, I think it is of great importance to recognize the role of a mother in raising and inspiring her children. There is much history yet to be told about women and their contributions to humanity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment