Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Blog Post - 1

The first thing that sparked my attention was the mention in Eisner's book about teaching children efficiently. While I have always thought of efficiency as being a positive thing, I began to think about where efficiency is actually meaningful and appropriate. Like Eisner mentions, we do not want to efficiently enjoy a glass of wine or dinner with friends, just as it is often difficult to complete a work of art efficiently. These experiences are valuable and therefore do not happen in the blink of an eye. These experiences are also more meaningful and should be savored. Most students do not savor a math problem or chemistry equation, as they are a different kind of task. In art we offer our students the opportunity to play and explore, an activity that requires freedom in time and choice. As art teachers we value the opportunity to give our students sensory experiences, but it is also important the the environment surrounding the art classroom is supporting of the arts in order to give our students these opportunities.

"We are given permission to slow down perception, to look hard, to savor the qualities that we try, under normal conditions, to treat so efficiently that we hardly notice they are there." I love this statement. In art we ask our students to dive deep into material that they may normally just glance at and move on. This takes place not only in the realm of art, but also in visual culture. Our students encounter thousands of messages each and every day, but how many are they stopping and processing? This is an extremely important skill for the 21st century student - visual literacy.

I found Eisner's commentary on the representation of an idea also quite interesting. We have many ideas that swirl around in our minds throughout the day, but unless the idea use inscription to record or represent our idea, it may be lost, or quickly transformed to a new idea. In art, we emphasize the inscription of ideas. I think that's a very cool way to think about art.

By editing our inscriptions, we perfect our messages hoping for a smooth delivery. Editing occurs across all art forms, music, painting, sculpture, ceramics, writing, etc. I have never before thought about how much the artistic process is similar across the arts. We are all trying to carefully deliver a message.

As for Imagination First, what a strong way to capture what often takes place regularly in the lives of children, "the killing of imagination." To me, it's a tragedy, to take away passion for creativity and imagination from a child. I would say that imaginative play defined me as a child. I was strongly encouraged by my mother to play and experiment with no wrong answers, and for that I am forever grateful. I would say that her reassurance in experimenting and encouragement of our big ideas gave my brothers and I the opportunity to discover at a young age who we truly are, with a strong sense of purpose and direction as to how we want to spend our days.  I think that this time for exploration in the classroom is critical to the development of identity and a sense of self, an area that we cannot afford to lack in education.

Reading about Albert Einstein's thought experiments really interested me. I love the idea of having my students participate in thought experience once a week. The art classroom is not solely about viewing and making art, but just as much about practicing creativity and imagination, the ability to ideate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment