Monday, October 29, 2012

Journal entry: classroom management

In Ms. Stoddart's classroom the supplies are organized by table. Each table has up to four students and on the table is a carry-all container with scissors, glue, colored pencils and a few other supplies. The containers sit in the middle of the table for the students to share. Each table is labeled with a color and the color that is "today's helpers" is hung on a bulletin board in the back of the classroom. I would like to adopt this strategy for my own classroom because I think it saves time in getting started with a new class and allows every student to take part in some point with passing out supplies.

I have noticed that Ms. Stoddart manages her classroom by using positive behavior support. I often hear her say things like, "I love the way Hannah is sitting so quietly ready to listen to the directions," or "Josh did a nice job only using a few dots of glue on his paper." She also gives very clear directions at the beginning of class by showing students step-by-step what they need to do. I have seen Ms. Stoddart use the "safe seat" once or twice in her classroom management as well. If a student is not following the directions or being disruptive she may ask the student to spend some time in the safe seat before completing their project.

I believe that the rules in place have been created by the school. The main rules that I see Ms. Stoddart referencing involve safely or appropriately using the supplies in the classroom. I've noticed that when the substitute teacher has been in the classroom that she prefers the room to be relatively quiet and repeatedly asks the students to keep their voices down. However, I don't believe that I have heard Ms. Stoddart scold the students for chatting with a neighbor as long as they continue to work on their project. I agree with the way Ms. Stoddart manages her classroom regarding conversation because I think that it is an opportunity for the students to talk about art and make meaning in what they are creating. The student may not recognize they are doing this at such a young age, but I hear them discussing with one another the artistic choices that they have made what they appreciate about another student's artwork. I also like the community environment that this type of classroom embraces.

I have only seen one assessment strategy implemented in my host teacher's classroom. I helped grade some tests covering the color wheel for Ms. Stoddart and it was a very basic fill-in-the-blank type test. I don't believe Ms. Stoddart gives grades for artworks that the students create, but she does choose some to go in the art show at the end of the year. Every student has at least one artwork in the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment