Sunday, November 17, 2013

Results of the play assignment!



You can't really see the resin in the photos, but in person it looks like the thinnest sheet of glass sitting on top of your canvas. Super cool!


This week’s assignment to play got me curious enough to do something that I have been wanting to do for a while but somehow couldn’t find enough a good reason to do it. After studying the abstract expressionists in one of my art history courses, I became intrigued by the idea of creating freely, without a specific concept, plan or arriving at a particular meaning. I usually like to work this way anyways, but I do not usually work in a visibly abstract way. So I decided to whip out my inner Jackson Pollock and just paint what ever rose to my imagination. I also decided that I have been wanting to “play” or experiment with a resin coating on my painting, so I tried that, too! And I must say, I absolutely love the effect, which does not measure up in photographs. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to play this week, for one because it was fun, but more importantly, because it again made me realize the importance of giving my students time to do the exact same thing – play! Also, abstract expressionism can be very therapeutic, don’t you think??

No comments:

Post a Comment